1. Collegiate: Open to students of a 4-year university or college.
2. Champion: Open to all.
3. Alumni: All competitors must have been graduated from or attended the university or college they are representing.
4. Club: Open to all crews, except that colleges interested in participating in Sunday club events must first compete in the corresponding collegiate event on Saturday.
5. Lightweights: Open to male rowers not over 165 pounds and female rowers not over 135 pounds. On boats with multiple rowers, each rower must meet the weight requirement as weights will not be averaged. Weigh-in is held at the Registration Room on the day of the event. It begins when registration opens and must be completed by the close of registration. Check the regatta schedule for the exact times.
6. Masters: Each competitor must be at least 22 years of age AND the average age of each boat MUST be over 30. Age is calculated using the US Rowing rules. Coxswains are excluded from age restrictions and calculations. Events are based on ten-year increments (30+, 40+, 50+, 60+, 70+, 80+) and may be adjusted according to the number of entries. Age categories 50+ and above will be handicapped. If an event is undersubscribed, it will be held with the closest age group BUT will receive separate medals for that age group.
7. Junior or Youth Events: Each competitor must be younger than 19 years of age at the end of the year in which the regatta is being held. No college students may participate.
8. Upper and Lower Boats: Lower boat events for juniors and collegiate rowers may be held depending upon the number of entries. No upper boat rower may participate in the lower boat event.
To enter a lower boat event, the team must row at least two entries in the upper event. A club or school’s fastest boats must be entered in the upper boat event.
9. Novice: USRowing recommended definition of a novice athlete: a novice rower “shall be a coxswain or rower whose initial competition within the same discipline [(sculling or sweep)] has been in the previous 12 months of the date of the regatta.”
Novice athletes are students who have never competed in a regatta before the event season. Novice boats are comprised solely of novice athletes. Former coxswains who row for the first time are considered novice rowers. However, a former rower who then becomes a coxswain is not considered to be a novice coxswain.
- Men’s and Women’s Junior 4+’s and 8+’s will be limited to 30 boats per event. Organizations may not enter more than three boats per each event.
- Only rowers over the age of 18 who have graduated from High School may participate in Open and Club events (including coxswains).
- There will be no Novice Junior/Youth events in HOTO 2017. November’s weather, and water conditions and the length of the head race can be arduous and dangerous to inexperienced crews.
- 11:59pm Eastern Time on October 15, 2017, is the registration deadline, this is firm. There is no “late registration” deadline. No extensions, no day-of / on-site boat adds.
- Note: Within 5 days of end of registration, OBC reserves the right to suspend registrations to perform a count of registrations and start a wail list to ensure a safe and positive rowing experience for all participants and visitors. If the threshold of maximum capacity is not met, OBC will not suspend registrations.
- No booster club utility trailers / “chuck wagons” are permitted in the park beyond the need to unload upon arrival and load upon departure from Sandy Run Regional Park. Teams and Clubs are responsible for the off-site parking of these vehicles. Fountainhead Park, which is a locked facility is an option for teams interested in parking their vehicles overnight during the regatta. Please send an email to HOTO@rowobc.org with any queries for this option.
- OBC strongly encourages all attendees to car / van pool, use buses to help minimize vehicular traffic to Sandy Run Regional Park.
- OBC reserves the right to move competitors to other events and change the schedule at any time.
- TEAM TENTS: Sandy Run Regional Park has 24 spots available on a first-come, first-served basis for team tents and designated areas. Please request a tent spot when registering with the registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Masters divisions are based on average age. Please register in the appropriate age category.
- NVRPA rules PROHIBIT PET DOGS in the park on regatta days at Sandy Run Regional Park.
- All registrants will receive updates and reminders of these rules via email days before the regatta, be sure to check your “spam” and trash folders for any news from OBC.